Pilot Project Grant
College Dean must approve and submit the proposal by the following RSP deadlines:
- Fall 2023: November 6 before 5 PM PST
- Winter 2024: February 20 before 5PM PST
- Spring 2024: May 16 before 5PM PST
We suggest that application materials are sent to.... *
- Department Chairs: 2 weeks before RSP deadline
- College Deans: 1 week before RSP Deadline
*Be sure to check if your department/college has set specific internal deadlines!
*Template updated 10/4/2023
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Using the required proposal template include all required components as a single pdf file and attach it to the application eSign form. Submit the eSign form to your Department Chair. Please give yourself, your faculty advisor, your department chair, and your college dean plenty of time for this process.
The proposal consists of a maximum two-page narrative providing a description of the project, its significance, the expected results or outcomes, and a budget describing how funds will be used.
Department Chairs will review the application, complete the comment section, and if approved, forward the application onto their Dean.
If the chair is the applicant, their Dean will review the application and complete the comments section.
DEANS (SUBMISSION DEADLINE)
Deans will review the application and if approved, forward on to RSP at email@example.com.
Fall 2023: November 6 before 5PM PST
Winter 2024: February 20 before 5PM PST
Spring 2024: May 16 before 5PM PST
IMPORTANT NOTE: Applications that do not use the required proposal template or without approval from a Department Chair and College Dean or materials received after the deadline for submission to RSP will not be considered for funding.
Faculty will be notified via email of the award decisions on or before the following dates. Funds become available shortly afterwards.
Fall 2023: December 13
Winter 2024: March 20
Spring 2024: June 12
EVALUATION OF PROPOSALS
Proposals will be reviewed by a faculty panel whose recommendations are provided to the Vice Provost for Research. The selection process is expected to be competitive. Proposals are evaluated based on:
- Opportunity for opening a significant new direction for research, creative expression or scholarship at WWU
- Likelihood that the new direction will be sustainable after the PPG support has concluded
- Impact on the discipline/University/community
- Completeness, and strength of statement of need/problem/creative activity and expected impacts
- Suitability/feasibility of methods, resources, staffing and timeline
- Qualifications and previous track record of the PI/team members
- Clarity and feasibility of endpoints