How to Register for CITI Trainings
Type “Western Washington University” into the search box.
Do not click on Independent Learner Registration
Agree to the Terms of Service and click “Continue to Create Your CITI Program Username/Password”
Enter your name and email address. Your WWU email address is strongly recommended, but not required.
Create your username and password. This does not have to be your Western ID.
Select Your Country of Residence
If you are a medical professional, Continuing Education Units are available for purchase.
Select No if you do not want to pay for CE credits.
Enter the information requested by WWU.
Enter your WWU email address
You may use any email address
Select the appropriate trainings for your research and funding.
For NIH or NSF funded research:
- Choose Responsible Conduct of Research Course
For research with animals:
- Under Lab Animal Welfare Course, Check the box for "The Working with the IACUC Course" is required if you plan to use laboratory animals in your work, or plan to supervise such work.
- NOTE: If you are NOT working with animals, leave the boxes in this section unchecked.
For research with humans, both funded and unfunded:
- Select “Social & Behavioral Research Investigators”
Select your US Export Control Course as needed for research involving transfer of sensitive information, equipment, technology, or software that are considered to be strategically important to the U.S.
Be sure to select the Important Notice box to confirm that if you purchase additional courses, you are responsible for paying for them and that the CITI Program does not issues refunds.
This is NOT requiring that you pay for something.
Then select the "Complete Registration"
After you have completed your registration, click on the “Western Washington University” box to display the courses that you selected.
Click the course link to begin taking the course.
The steps below will assist you if you have mistakenly chosen the wrong institution, your institution has changed, or you have an affiliation with more than one institution and need to transfer module completion credit.
If you would like to receive credit for modules previously taken, the certain requirements must be met.
After logging into your CITI Program account, click on the link Add Institutional Affiliation.
Type and choose the correct institution from the search box.
Confirm you have selected the right institution and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Answer the member information questions required by your newly affiliated institution and enroll in the course(s) for your newly affiliated institution.
If you would like to receive credit for modules previously taken, the following requirements must be met:
- To transfer course credit between institutions, you will need to be affiliated with both institutions (your previous institution and your new institution).
- When you are affiliated with both institutions, enroll in the courses that need to be transferred. You will need to enroll in the same stage of the course (Basic / Refresher) for a transfer to occur.
- Each institution determines the time frame in which modules are transferable. This time frame can span any time between 1 and 10 years. Some institutions opt out of this option and do not allow module completion credit to transfer.
Contact CITI Customer Support.